Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Some days, I have no where else to go but into the blank page of a new blog post that just welcomes my tears and sadness. It doesn't judge me or try to comfort me, it just lets me get it out and move on to the next minute.

I find that the closer I get to Christmas, the more I'm blubbering. Every little thing sets me off. A Christmas card that someone writes in. A commercial. A news clip about a Dad surprising his daughter in school arriving home from deployment. It all hits me.

I am so blessed. My kids are so psyched about Christmas. It's awesome. They all "get" it this year. It's going to be a great morning.

I wish, with all my heart, that the only thing waiting for me on Christmas morning was the phone call from him wishing us well before we get together to open gifts later in the afternoon. We used to call in the morning and wish each other Merry Christmas. He loved Christmas.

I know so many people struggling this Christmas with family illness and job loss, countless other things too - and I'm not belitting those worries, they were mine and some still are, but if you have a loved one with you this season - be so thankful, be so grateful for the time you have with them. Don't think about what might happen, what could happen next year, just love them and be with them. Enjoy the moment. I would do almost anything for those moments again.

They always say the first year of "Firsts" is the hardest. I'm beginning to see why. There are a lot of times I have to remind myself that he is gone. There are so many days, I go about my business and it hits me that he's not there to call. I talk to him in my head all the time. Crazy? Probably.

I'll continue to blubber and I'll continue to talk to my Dad in my head and I'll get through Christmas. Not only "get through", but enjoy it. I'll enjoy my kids. Dad would expect no less. He would probably be mad at me for getting upset right now. He would say, "come on kid, buck up!". Gonna do that, in about two more kleenexes.

No comments: